Friday, March 6, 2009

Going Meatless for Lent?

As many a good Catholic knows, meat is a non-option for Friday nights. However fun those Parish Fish Fries are...sometimes fried fish isn't the healthiest choice to make. Also, if you're like me, you can get bored easily. 

Then there are those of us who decided to go completely meatless for Lent - a sacrifice more for those in the Midwestern region than for me down on the Gulf Coast. Nevertheless, it can still be a challenge. What makes things even more challenging is the fact that college cafeterias have only a limited selection of food, so you have to get creative. So I decided to do a little research and find some college budget friendly, vegetarian options.

1) Applebee's - they have chains all around the country and provide some options for us meatless Lent-ers. You can try their Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo Pasta - I've eaten it before and it was pretty good for seafood outside of New Orleans.

2) Atlanta Bread Company. This past Wednesday, after a busy day of classes, my boyfriend surprised me with their Veggie Sandwich delivered to my dorm room. I was a little skeptical at first, but the Nine Grain Bread they use is truly delicious. I would definitely recommend it. Also, their Potato Soup is wonderful with French Bread.

3) Denny's. Everyone loves a good breakfast and Denny's is one of my favorites. Next time you stop by check out their Veggie-Cheese Omelette, Pancakes, French Toast, or Belgian Waffle.

4) Any Mexican Restaurant. They will usually have Cheese Quesadillas, Bean Burritos, and Vegetarian Taco Salad and they are always very delicious and cheap.

5) Any Chinese Restaurant (especially the buffets). Low-prices and all you can eat Shrimp Fried Rice, Shrimp in Lobster Sauce, Vegetarian Eggrolls, and Fortune Cookies!

These are just a few that I find are close to college campuses and offer good alternatives to the fish fry.

But what about on campus? Sometimes we don't have access to a car or we don't have time between meetings and classes to make it off campus. Here's a list of what I can usually scavenge from those slim pickings:


For Breakfast:

1. Biscuits
2. Pancakes, Waffles
3. Cheese Omelette
4. Fruit and Granola (I keep dried fruit and granola in my dorm room for mornings I can't make it to the cafeteria)
5. Cereal, Oatmeal

For Lunch:

1.  Caesar Wraps (Pita Wrap, Lettuce, Cheese, and Dressing)
2. Chowder (Corn or Potato)
3. Vegetable Soup 
4. Baked Potato (with Cheese and Sour Cream)
5. Cheese Pizza (sometimes our cafeteria has Alfredo Pizza)

For Dinner:

1. Pasta (White Sauce or Red Sauce w/o Meat)
2. Macaroni and Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, and Mixed Vegetables
3. Grilled Tilapia, Broccoli, and Scalloped Potatoes
4. Shrimp Po-Boy and Fries
5. Red Beans and Rice (without Sausage)



No comments:

Post a Comment