Monday, June 8, 2009

Franciscan University of Steubenville


After spending a year in muggy Mobile, surrounded by Jesuits, beaches, and way to many people with alcohol problems, I am finally transferring to breezy Steubenville, Ohio.

This past week (June 4-6) I spent traveling and meeting my new university face-to-face.

And I am happy to report that I think we will get along splendidly.

The trip up was less than amazing, however. I was scheduled to arrive on the campus of Franciscan University by 4:30 PM but did not see my new home until after 9:30. Why the five hour delay? Oh, that's because I flew with an airline with less than helpful workers. However, on the first plane to D.C. (to catch a connection to Pittsburgh), I did get the opportunity to meet the First Lady of Louisiana.

She is very pretty.

And polite when dealing with weird people that won't stop talking to her on her airplane.

Bill Jefferson was there too.

I can now die happy that I have achieved the most New Orleans moment in the world.

Anyway, my thoughts on the campus:

1. It has a lot of hills. It puts Spring HILL College to shame in that department.
2. My dorm room looks very small. :[
3. The Campus Center and Cafeteria are large and awesome.
4. I miss the Gothic chapel at SHC and will try my best to go to Mass at a very modern church.
5. The walking Stations of the Cross was very nice.
6. My fellow students were very welcoming, more so than I have experienced at my previous college.
7. Ohio does not have good seafood.
8. I will have to walk uphill in the snow to go to class. Yikes.
9. I am happy that I learned that rain-boots are not sufficient for snow.
10. I am going to have very interesting classes (Geology!)
My future home: Marian Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment